Understand how your heart works and learn more about your heart condition with our patient information sheets.
In this section we explain what happens when your heart function is affected, possible tests you may need, and how different heart conditions may be treated. Click on the conditions shown on the left for more information or visit Services and Screening pages for more information.
Whilst reading our information sheets you will notice that there are some heart symptoms which are common to several of the conditions listed in this section. If you are experiencing any of the following we recommend you make an appointment to see your GP:
- Chest pain or chest sensations including pressure that cannot be explained by other known conditions
- Undue breathlessness or shortness of breath
- Irregular or fast heart rate
- Dizziness or fainting
- Blue tinge to finger nails and/or lips (cyanosis)
- Numbness or a tingling sensation in one side of the body